[globaalikasvatus-l] UNITED Conference in Finland, 12-17 November 2012 - Apply now!

Asta Rentola Asta.Rentola at alli.fi
Wed Aug 15 17:06:01 EEST 2012

Hyvä vastaanottaja,

Allianssi yhdessä UNITEDin ja muiden kumppaneiden kanssa järjestää rasismin- ja syrjinnänvastaisen UNITED-seminaarin Raaseporissa 12.-17.11. Alta löydät hakuohjeet ja lisätietoa seminaarista. Olisimme kiitollisia, jos voisitte välittää kutsua eteenpäin rasisminvastaisille toimijoille Suomessa.

Ystävällisin terveisin,

Asta Rentola
Suomen Nuorisoyhteistyö - Allianssi ry

UNITED E-NEWS 12/07/12
UNITED Conference in Finland, 12-17 November 2012

***Deadline for nominations 19 September 2012***

UNITED E-NEWS 12/07/12:
International UNITED Conference in Finland, 12-17 November 2012
"Wake Up Europe: It's Time to Act! Creative approaches to tackle discrimination"

CALL FOR NOMINATIONS

Contents of this E-news:
- Call for nomination
- Description and aims
- Programme (draft)<http://www.unitedagainstracism.org/pdfs/conf_FinlandProgramme.pdf>
- Technical Info
- Expression of interest e-form

Dear colleagues and friends,

Please find below the information and nomination form for our next UNITED Conference,
"Wake Up Europe: It's Time to Act! Creative approaches to tackle discrimination"
12-17 November 2012, in Finland

Conference prepared by (*):
* Finnish Youth Cooperation Allianssi (FIN)
* Foundation of Subjective Values (H)
* Kurt Lewin Foundation (H)
* Red Cross Finland (FIN)
* United Nations Youth and Students Association of Finland (FIN)
* Community Development Institute (MK)
* Opportunity (GB)
* Parler en Paix - Talking in Peace (F)
* UNITED for Intercultural Action

All information and the e-nomination form can be found below, and on the UNITED website<http://www.unitedagainstracism.org>

If your organisation is interested to nominate a representative, please return the expression of interest form (below) as soon as possible (deadline 19 September 2012), preferably by email to finland at unitedagainstracism.org<mailto:finland at unitedagainstracism.org>

Best wishes,
Geert Ates
Paola Carta
UNITED

CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
"Wake Up Europe: It's Time to Act! Creative approaches to tackle discrimination"
12-17 November 2012, in Finland

Wake Up Europe: It's Time to Act!
All across Europe political groups and subcultures that feed off racist ideologies are on the move, penetrating mainstream politics with devastating consequences for the minorities targeted.
The impact of racism and discrimination on our societies today is severe: it affects all of us in various ways - whether we are its subjects or objects - making social cohesion impossible and paving the way for conflict.

On the background of these examples and many others, UNITED is organising this upcoming international conference to be held in Finland.

In Finland, migrants and ethnic minorities face prejudice, discrimination and racism that affect, for instance, equal access to work and equal treatment in schools. Racism in different forms - varying from exclusion and name-calling to violence - is part of everyday life for many visible minorities, though racist incidents are rarely reported. Support for young victims of racism is insufficient and this need is not properly recognised. Finland has a relatively small migrant population; the biggest migrant groups today are Estonians, Russian and Somalis. There are four national ethnic and language minorities: Finnish Roma, Tatars, Finnish-Swedish and Sami, last one being the only indigenous people in EU.

Creative approaches to tackle discrimination
In this climate of hate, we are heartened by acts of courage and the strength of free-thinking individuals; people who are not afraid to speak up for equality, multiculturalism and solidarity; people who go against the status quo to fight for what they believe in.
The European antiracist movement is full of such people, and you are invited to join us in Finland to create one unified voice that shows the true value of diversity.

During the conference, we will share fresh strategies and best practices for the European antidiscrimination movement. In a time when far-right groups are more and more successful in addressing a large part of the population, our response needs to be visible and creative: It's time to ACT!

We will make use of a variety of working methods: thematic working groups, plenary sessions and workshops.

The working groups below will discuss such issues from different angles. Your contribution will be valuable....

* Just Roma -The right-less communities
This working group focuses on involving Roma communities in the fight against discrimination and marginalisation, also on the inclusion of Roma rights in the antidiscrimination movement. We will also deal with the problem of how Roma are represented in the media and what solutions can be found to break stereotypes.

* The InVisables - Which rights for undocumented migrants?
This working group focuses on the situation for undocumented migrants in European countries. We will take a look at how human rights, basic needs, employment and education are met/missing for sans papiers in different European countries, and how different the human rights movement addresses these issues both at grassroots and advocacy levels.

* School for All - Antidiscrimination education in school
In our working group we will search for the most effective way to implement an atmosphere of antidiscrimination within formal education environments. We will also look at how NGOs and schools can cooperate and exchange good practices.

* Power to the Youth! Volunteering in NGOs
In this working group we will look at volunteering as a form of non-formal education and the possibility to obtain new skills, knowledge and competences as well as new support for the antidiscrimination movement.
We will also look at tools that help to evaluate and monitor learning processes in relation to key competences involved in volunteering.

* Online (H)Activism - New media in our struggle
The Internet and social media era provides a variety of new tools, methods and approaches that activists can use in their everyday work. In this working group we will explore the opportunities that these tools, methods and approaches provide and create strategies to best apply them in our everyday work.

* Artivism - Creative action against racism
In our working group we will discuss the possibilities of creative methods and art in activism and explore inspiring examples, for example in antiracist campaigns. This creative working group will offer an open environment to bring forth and test all forms of ideas and methods.

UNITED is the largest pan-European anti-racist network of more than 550 organisations. With its conferences antiracist and human rights activists from all parts of Europe meet and discuss effective ways of combating racism and discrimination. At a recent UNITED conference held in May 2012 in Turkey (TR) delegates from 92 organisations from 35 countries look at specific issues, such as refugees rights, strategies to tackle Islamophobia, the creation of a Minority Rights Network, strategies for a critical approach to the media and many more.

(*) This conference is part of the project "Europe bottom-up: Capacity Building in Anti-discrimination Youth Work", a partnership between UNITED and Association for Social Change, Minority Rights Group Europe, Finnish Youth Cooperation Allianssi, Netzwerk für Demokratie und Courage, Duha UNITED, Foundation of Subjective Values; financed by Youth in Action Programme of the European Union, Action 4.6 - Youth support systems.

Programme (draft)<http://www.unitedagainstracism.org/pdfs/conf_FinlandProgramme.pdf>

TECHNICAL INFO:

Working methods
... plenary sessions, working groups, lectures, workshops, political cafés, presentations, debates, intercultural 'games', information market, cultural activities, excursions, open forum.

Participants
The conference is planned for 85 participants (living in the countries of the Council of Europe) who represent (inter)national antiracist, antifascist, refugee, human rights and minority rights organisations. Active grass-roots groups from all over Europe are also invited. Participation is rotated from one conference to another. Priority will be given to nominations from young delegates (under 30 years old) with a minority background. Preference is given to those organisations that actively take part in UNITED campaigns. Participants should act as multipliers, spreading the information to as many people as possible. We will try to reach an equal balance of female/male participants and a good geographical distribution.
Each organisation can nominate only ONE delegate.

Language
The conference language is English. All participants are expected to have at least basic knowledge of English. But don't worry, English is almost nobody's mother tongue. If you have difficulties in expressing yourself, surely we can help each other.

With the financial support of
* European Youth Foundation of the Council of Europe<http://www.eyf.coe.int/fej>
* Youth in Action Programme of the European Commission<http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/youth/index_en.htm>
* Finnish Minister of Education and Culture <http://www.minedu.fi/OPM/?lang=en>
* The Matra Program of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs<http://www.minbuza.nl/en>
* Provincie Noord-Brabant<http://www.brabant.nl>

Financial conditions
Participation fee - travel costs
The participation fee of the conference depends on the country where the nominating organisation is based:

120 Euro for participants from group 1:
A, B, CH, CY, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GR, I, IS, IRL, L, M, N, NL, P, S

60 Euro for participants from group 2:
BG, CZ, EE, H, HR, LV, LT, PL, RO, SI, SK

40 Euro for participants from group 3:
FIN, AL, ARM, AZ, BH, BY, GE, H, KZ, KY, MK, MNE, MD, RS, RUS, TR, UA, UZB, XZ

Full board & lodging and the complete program is included.

Organisations that paid their 2012 supporter fee to the UNITED Network will receive a 50% reduction of the participation fee. (how to become a supporter<http://www.unitedagainstracism.org/pages/supportcard.htm>)

Contribution to international travel costs
Participants travelling from group 1
A, B, CH, CY, D, DK, E, F, GB, GR, I, IS, IRL, L, M, N, NL, P, S
UNITED can contribute maximum 75% to the costs of your travel, not more than 260 Euro.

Participants travelling from group 2
BG, CZ, EE, H, HR, LV, LT, PL, RO, SI, SK, TR
UNITED can contribute maximum 85% to the costs of your travel, not more than 280 Euro.

Participants travelling from group 3
AL, ARM, AZ, BH, BY, GE, H, KZ, KY, MK, MNE, MD, RS, RUS, UA, UZB, XZ
UNITED can contribute maximum 90% to the costs of your travel, not more than 320 Euro.

Participants travelling from Finland
UNITED can contribute maximum 75% to the costs of your travel, not more than 250 Euro.

The cost of your visa can be reimbursed by UNITED on the base of an original invoice from the Embassy.

Please look for the cheapest and most environmentally friendly possibility to travel. We strongly encourage you to travel by night-train, bus or other cheaper means of transport to Finland.

In order to be eligible for a contribution to your travel costs you are expected to attend the whole meeting and to prove your travel expenses providing an original invoice and the original tickets to UNITED.
UNITED can only contribute to travel costs made for the return route between your place of residence and Finland.

UNITED conferences can only take place when participants make an effort to contribute financially to their travel costs. We ask you to find out if there are alternative possibilities of funding your participation. Sometimes it is possible to find small local grants (e.g. a travel grant from a foundation, a university, an embassy or another sponsor). We would very much appreciate your help.

Since we have limited sponsored places, delegates that can cover (part of) their own travel costs have a higher chance to be selected.

Date and place
The conference will take place in Finland (FIN) and will start on Monday afternoon 12 November 2012 with a bus transport to the venue.
Departure from Helsinki is foreseen for Saturday afternoon 17 November 2012.
If you wish to arrive earlier or stay longer (on your own costs), we can help you to arrange your stay.

Further information
- Please fill in the form below completely providing all data as requested. If you invest more effort in the application it has more chance to be successful!
- Each organisation can nominate only ONE representative (living in Europe).
- Priority will be given to nominations from young delegates (under 30 years old) with a minority background
- Sending this form to UNITED does not guarantee that you will be selected for the conference - we receive many nominations.
- Only selected candidates will be informed about the result of their selection and receive further information via e-mail end of September 2012.

Application procedure
Organisations interested in nominating a delegate should send their nomination (Expression of Interest form below) by email before the deadline:
19 September 2012 - 24:00 to finland at unitedagainstracism.org<mailto:finland at unitedagainstracism.org>

EXPRESSION OF INTEREST:

UNITED Conference:
"Wake Up Europe: It's Time to Act! Creative approaches to tackle discrimination"
12-17 November 2012, in Finland (FIN)

Name organisation:
Name organisation in English:
Abbreviation name organisation:
Organisation's address:
Street:
Postal code:
City:
Country:
Phone organisation:
Mobile phone organisation:
Fax organisation:
E-mail organisation:
Website organisation:

First name delegate:
Family name delegate:
Date of birth:
Male / Female
Private e-mail delegate:
E-mail address to send conference documents:
Personal phone/mobile where you can be reached in emergencies:
Phone:
Mobile phone:

Special needs (vegetarian, no pork, allergies, disabilities etc.):

Do you consider yourself to be part of a minority?
No:
Yes: (please, specify)

Motivation and aims for participating:

Please describe the work you are doing and the specific projects you have been involved in:

Describe your skills (eg. leading a working group, reporting):

What languages can you work with?:

Indicate the field(s) of your activity:
put a cross before the relevant field(s)
[ ] Anti-nationalism
[ ] Anti-racism
[ ] Anti-fascism
[ ] Migrant / minority rights
[ ] Refugee support
[ ] Human rights
[ ] Youth work
[ ] Roma issues
[ ] General Discrimination
[ ] Other:

Which working group would you like to attend?
Indicate only two priorities; put '1' (first priority) and '2' (second choice) before the relevant working groups

[ ] A. Just Roma - The right-less communities
[ ] B. The InVisables - Which rights for undocumented migrants?
[ ] C. School for All - Antidiscrimination education in school
[ ] D. Power to the Youth! Volunteering in NGOs
[ ] E. Online (H)Acktivism - New media in our struggle
[ ] F. Artivism - Creative action against racism

Please explain your choice and describe in which way you could contribute to these 2 working groups:

If asked to, could you offer a 2 hour thematic training/workshop to the other participants?
Please specify the possible topic:

Have you personally experienced racism and/or discrimination?
No:
Yes: (please, specify)

How will you share the experience of the conference after your return in your organisation, community, country?

Would you need financial support from UNITED for your travel costs?

[ ] No, I / My organisation will cover the travel costs

[ ] Yes /
If yes:
How much will be the total costs of your travel to Helsinki? .......... Euro
Country/City you will travel from (and return to):
How much contribution would you need from UNITED? .......... Euro

Before answering this question please read the maximum contribution to travel costs, under technical information
Since we have limited sponsored places, delegates that can cover (part of) their own travel costs have a higher chance to be selected.

For those who will need a visa:
(please attach copy of your passport)

First name (as it is written in the passport):
Family name (as it is written in the passport):
Private address of the delegate:
Street:
Postal code:
City:
Country:

Place of birth:
Country of birth:
Citizenship:
Number of passport:
Passport valid until:

Finnish embassy where you will apply for your visa
City:
Country:
Fax:
Phone:
E-mail:

Please send this form as soon as possible by e-mail to: finland at unitedagainstracism.org<mailto:finland at unitedagainstracism.org>
Deadline 19 September 2012

UNITED is the pan-European network against nationalism, racism, fascism and in support of migrants and refugees, supported from more than 550 organisations from 48 European countries. How to join the network: see www.unitedagainstracism.org<http://www.unitedagainstracism.org> 'joining the network'

----

This event is supported by the Council of Europe (European Youth Foundation of the Council of Europe<http://www.eyf.coe.int/fej>) and European Commission (Youth in Action Programme of the European Commission<http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/youth/index_en.htm>)

The information contained herein does not necessarily reflect the position nor the opinion of our sponsors. Sponsors are not to be held responsible for any use that may be made of it.

----

UNITED E-NEWS is an irregular email service to over 10000 organisations and contact persons active in the working fields: anti-racism, refugee support, anti-fascism, against antisemitism, migration, minority issues, intercultural youth work, against nationalism etc.

Regular postal mailings, containing publications such as Addressbook Against Racism, Calendar of Internationalism, Campaign reports, Posters etc. are sent to over 2300 European organisations. If you also would like to receive this mailing: see www.unitedagainstracism.org<http://www.unitedagainstracism.org> 'joining the network'

You have received this E-news because your organisation or institution is listed in the UNITED online database and/or Addressbook Against Racism; you have attended a UNITED event; have participated in a UNITED campaign; are a partner in the working fields above; and/or have expressed an interest in UNITED network's issues.

If you don't want to receive E-news anymore, just let us know at info at unitedagainstracism.org<mailto:info at unitedagainstracism.org>

If you want to receive a copy of E-news to your own (private) email address, just send a message from that address with 'subscribe' in the subject line. (UNITED does not publish private (email) addresses)

----

UNITED for Intercultural Action
European network against nationalism, racism, fascism and in support of migrants and refugees
Postbus 413 - NL 1000 AK Amsterdam
phone +31-20-6834778 - fax +31-20-6834582
info at unitedagainstracism.org<mailto:info at unitedagainstracism.org> - www.unitedagainstracism.org<http://www.unitedagainstracism.org>